Moving an office space is incredibly complicated, detail-oriented, and time-consuming. Much like any move, relocating an entire office requires intensive planning, packing, storing, and physically moving objects from one place to another. Yet, moving an office is even more complex than a residential move because of all of the individual tasks that must be completed, including preparing one or more employees for the move, uninstalling and reinstalling computer networks, office equipment, and furnishings, all while trying to somehow find the time to manage a business and maintain a steady client-flow. One of the most important decisions you will have to make while planning an office move is whether or not to hire professional office movers. If you are planning to move your Orlando business to a new location, you will want to carefully weigh your moving options. In today’s blog, we have listed some of the pros and cons of a DIY office relocation for you to consider as you plan your move.
Pros of a DIY Office Move
At J & J Metro Moving and Storage, we understand that some business owners in Orlando would prefer to move their office on their own, without enlisting the help of professional movers. Here are some of the benefits of relocating your business on your own:
- Cost-Effective – For some, moving your office without professional assistance might be a more affordable option. In fact, this is one of the top reasons why business owners prefer to move their office on their own, rather than hiring movers. In some cases, a DIY office move may be more affordable for larger offices moving over great distances, or for businesses with a limited budget. In these cases, it may make more sense to simply rent a moving truck and pay for the packing supplies. What’s more, many companies have access to a company van or truck that they can use to move their office.
- Pack How Your Want – A DIY move allows you to pack your office supplies, equipment, and furnishings the way you want. You have worked hard to build your business and have invested a significant amount of time, money, and energy creating an office space that meets your needs. This is why we understand people’s hesitance towards hiring movers. Moving on your own allows you to pack your items the way you want, which may give you peace of mind when compared to allowing others to pack your property for you.
- Time Constraints and Scheduling – If you are moving your office yourself, you can determine when and how you move without having to coordinate with a moving company. Oftentimes, things happen that can interfere with moving plans and schedules, which could cause a business owner to have to reschedule or cancel a scheduled move. Many moving companies work on a tight schedule and will charge a cancellation fee, which only adds to the stress of relocating a business. Moving an office on your owns allows you to work on your schedule according to times that work best for you.
Cons of a DIY Office Move
Now that we have looked at the pros of moving your office yourself, let’s explore the cons of a DIY move.
- It Takes Time – Moving an office on your own requires a lot of time. There is just no easy way around the time it takes to plan your move, pack your office, coordinate with employees, and actually move your company’s property. While it is nice to work on your own schedule, moving can seem like an eternity. It takes even longer when you are trying to balance an office relocation with running a business full-time.
- Moving is Hard Work – Moving is exhausting. Along with running your business, you will also have to make time to pack all of the objects in your office, and as if that isn’t hard enough, you then have to physically haul your goods to your new office location. And it doesn’t stop there. You have to unload each and every box, and then unpack each item. To make things even more complicated, if you rely on technology and computers to keep your office running, you will have to uninstall, pack, transport, and then reinstall all of your necessary systems. Phew! Not only is moving hard work, it is also physically demanding. It makes sense why this is the number-one reason why people hire professional office movers like the J & J Metro team to handle the entire door-to-door move.
- Lack of Experience – If you are like most, you have probably moved before and have a basic understanding of how to pack, move, and unpack your possessions. However, you probably also know just how daunting the entire moving process can be. Simply put, if you don’t work in the moving industry, you probably don’t know all the expert procedures for packing items in a secure and organized, lifting and moving heavy objects, loading and unloading a moving truck, and protecting all of your furniture and other expensive items with the proper care they need.
Talk to the Pros
While there are benefits to moving your office on your own, there are also many aspects of a DIY move that could make relocating your office a difficult task. It is best to sit down, make a list of your needs and goals when moving your office to determine if a DIY move will work best, or if you should hire professional office movers. If you have any questions or concerns about your office relocation, call J & J Metro Moving and Storage today. Our friendly team will be happy to talk with you about your move and can provide you with a free, no-obligation estimate for your move. If you decide a DIY move is best for you, but would like a small amount of professional help, we can simply help you pack or load your truck for you. We understand that no matter how you choose to move your business, affordability, scheduling, and reliability will play a major role in your decision of whether or not to hire professional office movers. This is why we stand by our promise to always provide Orlando business owners with a fair moving estimate. Give us a call today and talk to us about your move.